Produced by Tasveer, Seattle’s 8th South Asian Film Festival will represent the best of films from culturally rich South Asian Diaspora and its widespread influence. 8th SSAFF will celebrate 100 years of Indian Cinema. Throughout the 10 days, SSAFF will present narrative films, documentaries, workshops and performances, honoring a century of Indian Cinema.
New this year, Tasveer has expanded the Seattle South Asian Film Festival from 3 days to 10 days, collaborating with Film Festival Club at University of Bothell. With the expansion, we are expecting a 30% rise in our audience (approx. 3,500) to the festival. The festival will take place in Seattle and Bothell. We bring exciting filmmakers, guest speakers from all over the United States and South Asia. We also host community forums and discussion groups on South Asian issues.
Dates: Friday, October 4th - October 13th, 2013
Venue: SIFF Film Center, SIFF Uptown, UW Bothell Campus - North Creek Auditorium & Mobius Hall (run by Cascadia Community College)
Target Audience: Seattle boasts the largest independent film festivals, the patrons of which are our target audience. We will mainly target the South Asians residing in and around the Puget Sound area. We will also connect with special interest groups based on the subjects of each film.
Age Group: 25yr - 45yr old (75%); 45yr old+ (20%); Other ages (5%)
According to 2010 U.S. Census Bureau approx. 10,000 South Asian families live in Washington State.
Festival Features: The 10 day festival will have 30 feature programs and more. Below are just a few of the highlights:
- Opening Night Gala: Miss Lovely with Reception
- A famous Filmmaker Musician Q (Qaushik Mukherjee) will have a stop in Seattle with his film Tasher Desh
- Live Chat with Mira Nair( Monsoon Wedding and Salaam Bombay Fame) with her Reluctant Fundamentalist
- Being Desi Photo Hunt for South Asian Youth (desi is an endearing term for people of South Asia)
- Local Filmmakers’ Presents: A Roundtable Discussion
- New Features and Shorts: The best independent narrative feature and short South Asian films will be presented every evening
- Many filmmakers guests, parties, live music and much more.